Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Fountain Pen Madness


My DIY Pen Box pictorial….

There aren't any truly noteworthy pens here but I like each of them for one reason or another but they were starting to add up. In the end, a home was required to satisfy the neat-nick that is IamKnitGuy!

The box….it was an old valet.
Untitled

Built the supports with paint stirrers. Note to self, cutting paint stirrers with an exacto knife requires a lot more strength than knitting and penmanship practice develops....

Untitled

Bottom layer….because who in their right mind would think one layer of pens is enough!

Untitled

Support for top tray. I have no saw/cutting mechanism but the exacto knife so I improvised with some balsam wood. Really easy to cut but had to layer it.

Untitled

Top layer with tabs to lift top tray out to get to bottom layer of pens…..how clever is that!

Untitled

Finished except for some sanding, additional glue and polishing/touch ups on the wood...

Untitled

The top of the box has a lovely spot for a photo but I wanted it to be just plain glass so you could see the pens. Unfortunately, I couldn't anchor the glass and stop it from rattling about when I opened and closed the lid. In the end, it was pen p0rn to the rescue and this project was written!
Hey, they're not all golden!

I'm not a handy guy, a bit crafty but not handy. In the end, I'd have to say, anyone could do this and I recommend it to any pen enthusiast! Thanks to FPN and all their posters, I would have never figured this out on my own!

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

BAH! I've been wanting a fountain pen FOREVER.