Monday, January 19, 2009

Beginnings & Ending...

I want to know why I don't get the same stitch definition as the authors of projects like this dishcloth? It's a simple design, a mixture of knits and purls that I'm calling "Home Sweet Home". What do you think?

- Am I simply not as good a knitter?
- Is there some blocking trick I missed along the way?
- Is it all an illusion of photography, skills I obviously do not possess?
- Do I need a better camera?
Anyway, the color is so much fun and it's super useful in the kitchen. I'm totally keeping it for myself. It only took a few hours but I'll use it all the time. I don't know why I was such a snob about dishcloths, they're a blast! And if nothing else, I finished something, anything. My 2009 mantra, I will finish all projects. I found this pattern over at MenWhoKnit. I recently joined but haven't really jumped into the action. I'm still finding my way around. Elemmaciltur is one of the men there and one hell of a knitter. He knit this number as his last in 2008 so I decided to make it
my first in 2009. Who knows, his talent may rub off on me.
An hour ago, these little pods of yarn were an awful afghan that I knit a million years ago. It was a basketweave pattern in multiple colors of double strands of yarn. At the time, I thought it was creative. It was a mess and I finally got tired of carrying around half a project that would never be finished. Now I have more Cascade 220 in multiple colors to last a lifetime. I think 2009 may be the year of the felting! I'll keep you posted.

You can find the dishcloth pattern and a few others at Kris' blog. She's a talented knitter and has a lovely website. And while you're there, check out her photos and stitch definition. errrr.

I hope you had an enjoyable Martin Luther King Jr. Day and the best Inauguration Day ever!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I can't help you on the stitches with this dishcloth. It still is very pretty!!!

Krystal said...

ooh! I like-ALOT! that color is fabulous and I think the name you chose is a great one too!

krystal