Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Since someone asked...

Thank you Krystal and here's the skinny for all of you! I drove all the way to Texas for the CSMSA. What is the CSMSA, you ask? I won't hold you in suspense a moment longer. I know you're all sitting on the edge of your seats.

It's the Circular Sock Machine Society of America. Beauregard and I took a road trip for the CSMSA. Beau is my Legare 400 Circular Sock Machine. And yes, he had to have a proper Southern name, we finally got it going in Texas after all! I had such a great time learning the basics of this machine. I thought I knew a little bit about it, I absolutely did not.

Before the conference, all I could do was knit a tube, very boring, very little like a sock. I couldn't make a heel, hang a hem, selvedge edge or even begin to use the ribber (a component of these machines that is more scary than learning to purl for the first time). Now I've got your attention!

At the conference, I learned all of them and more. Mary, the conference chair promised me I'd make heels and I certainly did. I took classes on hanging hems, heels, yoga socks, CSM basics, care, cleaning and made tons of purchases. I bought yarn, new needles, yarn, new pick tool, yarn. Well, you get the idea.

I've driven cross country a few times now but it's nothing like a good road trip through the South. This New Yorker loves this country. I could listen to southern folk talk all day. And the men, I had no idea but that's another story.

I've been home a few weeks but remiss in posting because I couldn't post until I mastered the machine, beaten the beast, conquered the ... well, knit a sock on the bloody thing. Tonight I present my inaugural socks (yes, toes still need to be kitchenered) the inaugural socks Beauregard and I made together! I'm over the moon and they only took about 2 hours, not counting the 11 month learning curve! ;-)

2 comments:

Krystal said...

WOW! A complete (almost) pair of socks?!!! That is just too awesome! And in only 2 hrs? Now that's a machine I think I could love! It took me 2 months just to hand knit the 1 pair I've ever made ;-)

But honestly, I thought you might have sold that machine since I hadn't heard you mention it and the last time I did it was not in a good way. LOL But good for you!! TAME THE BEAST!

Kyle Kunnecke said...

congratulations! Now I just have to figure out how to get you to San Francisco so you can show me (and John) what we're doing wrong on our sock knitting machines! I think it boils down to setting them up, fiddling with them, letting them jam, readjusting, and trying again... but the ribbers just make 'em jam.

I can only imagine how great it feels to have completed these!!!